Lorraine Hansberry Act 1 – Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
Lorraine sits in a cracked vinyl diner booth, without thinking chewing a pencil end. The smell of homemade breakfast sausage patties wafted through the diner air. Her stomach growled; a painful reminder of hunger. She stares out into the well-used but clean street while black men walked to work, seeing nothing. I guess you could call it daydreaming, but really there was little dreaming taking place. It was more a look of questioning, “How can this experience in my life make a difference? How can I make this real for them?” She struggled, putting the pencil to notepad, “build something real”.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage PattiesPrint This
½ c Coffee Grounds
1¼ t Kosher Salt
½ t Baking Soda
1 lb Ground pork 20% fat
1¼ T Dried sage
¾ T Red Pepper Flakes
- Mix coffee, salt, baking powder, and pork lightly and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix sage and red pepper flake into the pork mixture for about a minute then chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan on medium heat for 2 minutes to get pan hot.
- Form patties about 2 inches in diameter, add to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and enjoy!