Classic Chicken & Dumplings - Verse One
“You may write me down in historyWith your bitter, twisted lies,You may trod me in the very dirtBut still, like dust, I’ll rise.”
― Maya Angelou, Still I Rise
Classic Chicken & DumplingsPrint This
- 2 quarts water
- 1 small whole chicken, giblets removed and quartered
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced
- 2 cups biscuit mix (see below)
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
1. Bring the water, whole chicken, and salt to a low boil in a large stock pot.
2. Back heat down to medium and allow to simmer for 2-3 hours (you can go longer if you you want).
3. Fish out the chicken quarters and skim any large pieces of scum from the broth. Allow the chicken to cool to room temperature and shred the meat.
4. Add the carrots to the broth and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, mix the biscuit mix, granulated garlic and milk into a loose dough.
6. Use 2 spoons to ball up the biscuit dumplings into 1 1/2 inch balls and add to the broth.
7. Allow dumplings to gently simmer for 4 minutes then flip over and allow to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
8. Add the shredded chicken and parsley and serve.
4 cups AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder or buttermilk powder
1/4 cup baking powder
1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 tbsp cream of tartar
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. With pastry blender (or your hands) cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal in texture. Store in airtight container.