Homemade Bread & ButterPrint This
2 1/2-3 cups warm water (about 100℉)
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp honey
4 cups bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp kosher salt
- Combine 1/2 cup water and yeast in a small cup or bowl and allow to bloom for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine honey, flours, warm water, yeast mixture and 1 tsp salt. Mix for 5-6 minutes until the dough starts to pull away from the bowl (it will be semi-shaggy dough).
- Allow to rise in a warm place for 2 hours. Then turn dough out onto cutting board or counter that has been floured and form into round ball and allow to rise for 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450℉ and heat cast iron dutch oven for at least 45 minutes.
- Pull dutch oven from the oven and gently place the dough in the pan, no non stick necessary but you can put a little cornmeal in the bottom if you like.
- With a sharp knife cut 2 5-inch long slits in the bread and then sprinkle the other 1 tsp salt on top.
- Replace the lid and bake for one hour, then remove the lid and cook for another 15 or until internal temperature is 205℉.
- Pull from dutch oven and allow to rest for at least an hour on a cooling rack.
1 quart highest quality heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
- Add cream and salt to food processor and process on high for one minute.
- Then pulse for several more pulses until the cream has started to solidify and pushed out about 2 T of liquid.
- With a clean thin kitchen towel, dump the whole the processors worth of new butter into the towel and ring out the liquid.